Saturday, December 30, 2017

How does PTSD change your ability to do normal everyday things?

TRIGGER ALERT! CONTAINS TALK ABOUT PTSD AND SEXUAL ABUSE Asked on Quaro Answered by Maya xxxxx, diagnosed with PTSD as a result of childhood and medical abuse. "Being afflicted with PTSD has in some ways destroyed my ability to live a normal life, mostly by making it exceedingly hard to deal with stressful situations. The worst part are the episodes of despair, terror and suicidal thoughts which will just appear seemingly out of nowhere, though often due to some kind of trigger. The inability to trust people, of avoiding them as a result. Having frequent flashbacks (very realistic ones) which merge into one's current thoughts. All the fun stuff. My PTSD appears to have started as a childhood abuse when I was about five years old when my mother noticed that I suddenly "grew quiet". Later I would suffer maltreatment at the hands of doctors and psychologists who'd refused to acknowledge my intersex condition until it became too apparent to keep denying it as a fact. As a result of these experiences I have significant trouble trusting others. Why would I if they will just abuse and mistreat me anyway? That's what the traumatized part of my mind keeps insisting at least. Common things in daily life, whether it's something visual, a small touch or a word will suddenly remind me of those traumatic events, whether consciously or not. It was only recently that I found out that it was childhood abuse which made me so terrified of people touching me, even if they were family or friends. I can still feel those hands grasping at my body. Violating it. In short, PTSD severely limits me in what i can handle in terms of social interaction. It also makes it hard to deal with situations which evoke a lot of emotional stress, even things like finding a place to live and moving, or just going to a public place. I would really like to be able to put those traumas behind me and get rid of the PTSD, but I know that will not happen." Intersex meaning: A person born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn't seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male

No comments:

Post a Comment