Monday, June 26, 2017

MICHAEL J. FOX'S 6 RULES FOR SURVIVING ADVERSITY

Michael J. Fox is known for his roles as Alex P. Keaton in Family Ties, Marty McFly in Back to the Future trilogy and deputy New York mayor Mike Flaherty in Spin City. He may be more famous, though, for his battle with Parkinson's disease. Michael was diagnosed in 1991 and announced it publicly in 1998. 13 of his 18 Emmy nominations came after his diagnosis. As well as, 5 of his 9 Golden Globe nominations. In his own words, here are 6 rules of his for surviving adversity. (1) EXERCISE Especially if you have Parkinson's disease. "We've learned it will prolong your ability to operate positively in the world". (2) PACING "It helps me think- the physical motion creates intellectual motion." (3) ACCEPTANCE "It isn't resignation, and it freed me to actively deal with and endeavor to change my situation. I like to say, "My happiness goes in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in inverse proportion to my expectations". (4) HONESTY Don't remain silent or ashamed about your illness. Once Fox went public with his condition, he says,"It was empowering to have people understand what I was going through- I immediately felt better". (5) OPTIMISM "I hate when people say, "You're giving them false hope". To me hope is informed optimism". (6) HUMOR "I laugh at (my involuntary movements and the scenes they create). There are times when I love these things".

No comments:

Post a Comment